June Ambrose is a celebrity stylist, author and star of Vh1's Styled By June. She has worked with Zoe Saldana, Missy Elliott, Kelly Ripa, Kim Cattrall, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys, Estelle, Garcelle Beauvais and Ciara and more. Check out her webiste TheJuniverse and read on to find out her best tips for getting dressed stylishly and quickly.
Describe your daily life. How busy are you?
I'm up as early as 5:30 am, my family comes first! My action-packed day starts with getting the kids up, fed and off to school. Then, I work out before prepping dinner before leaving the house (yes, ladies! I prep at the beginning of the day!). I like to make all my calls and send out emails before hitting the road too. Once I'm out doing an appointment or keeping up on my social media posts, there's very little time for much else. My day typically ends around 11 pm!
What are some of your best strategies for getting dressed quickly in the morning?
I like to pick out my look for the day with a clear head! I say, if you want to get dressed quickly and set the tone for your look, start in the shower! I'm in love with Caress Endless Kiss Body Wash because it has such a great fragrance that creates the kind of excitement & confidence I need before putting on clothes.
If we looked in your closet, how would we find it arranged?
Well, it's not your typical closet. I'm very organized! Accessories are on one side, including shoes, bags and jewelry. My wardrobe is arranged by silhouette, color and day-to-night pieces. All of my casual pieces are folded. Matching hangers are also a must for me.
What are five items of clothing every busy woman should own for the office?
Well these are for the office or when you're off the clock:
(1) A strong pant and skirt suit
(2) Bold blouses and crisp white shirts
(3) For the weekend, fitted jeans, ballet flats
(4) Gingham shirts, slouchy sweaters, leggings and a denim jacket
(5) For evening it can vary, a sequins dress or top, a satin coat, jeweled pumps, chandelier earrings, leather pants, metallic skirt
What three pairs of shoes should every woman own?(1) A ballet flat
(2) a classic neutral pump (black, nude, ,snake print, patent leather )
(3) open-toe evening shoe (shimmery or stone).
What item of clothing or fashion rule do you think women are most clueless about (i.e. getting sleeve length tailored to fit)?
I would say tailoring - for example tailoring a blazer is something that is so important, but women don't typically do. They think the rule only applies to men. A boxy jacket can make a women look much bigger than she is. Also, an ill fitted bra can change the fit on your tops and dresses. I feel shape wear is key! It keeps your meat neat.
What's the most versatile style of handbag?
A black leather bag with a slightly tough edge. It plays well during the day and at night.
What are some smart shopping strategies for a busy woman?
Oh, on line shopping is great for a busy women. The biggest strategy is to learn from what is online - whether or not you purchase something. Most sites break down the trends and have great styling stories. Even of you don't buy something online, you can at least learn what's going on in the market place in terms of trends.
What trend are you most excited about for the upcoming season?
This season is all about body baring silhouettes, so you have to make sure your skin looks great. Start in the shower with a sophisticated scent that sets the tone for my look. I love the new Caress Endless Kiss body wash- infused with vanilla and sandalwood fragrance that last throughout the day.
Once my fragrance is set, I head to the closet to pull one of these amazing trends:
- Cut outs Cut-out tops and dresses are this season's fashion staple. It's all about playing around with the latest shapes and proportions to keep your look fresh and interesting. Try pairing a slim pencil skirt with a lacy top that has the back "cut out" or a sexy dress with triangle side cut-outs. This look can easily be worn with a cardigan for a polished look at the office or take it off after dark to reveal sexy skin.
- Shorts for Everyday - To rock shorts while still keeping it classy, all you have to do is simply pair a blazer and blousy top with a neutral pair of shorts. Top it off with polished accessories for daytime and a great pair of wedges. This look can take you throughout the day whatever the occasion may be. To switch the look for night-time, swap out the jewelry for trendy earrings and a bold bangle cuff.
- Sexy Rompers Among my favorite summer trends is the romper! It's here to stay this summer and designers are jumping on the bandwagon creating silhouette-flaunting (and skin-baring!) styles. The best way to pair this favorite is with a tall pair of heels or wedges, over-sized sunglasses and eye-catching accessories - think bangles or a brightly colored bracelet with a statement watch. No matter how you accessorize, you can be sure that you'll look fabulous with ease in this must-have look.
What trend do you think has outstayed its welcome?
The spandex dress -sorry ladies! It's true.