You'll never have to check your luggage for a weekend trip again with these smart packing tips:
- Lay your clothes out on your bed to go over your selections. Select one outfit per day and one outfit per night out. Always bring a sweater, even if you're headed to the beach, because the weather can be unpredictable, as can air conditioning levels.
- Limit the number of shoes you bring. Shoes are heavy and take up a lot of room in your suitcase. Try to keep it to no more than three pairs of shoes (daytime, evening and sneakers).
- Take the biggest bag you can carry on, currently that's 24" x 16" x 10" for most domestic flights, like this Alpha bag from Tumi. You may not think you'll need all the room, but you never know. You may end up shopping, have work folders to carry home or may even be in a rush when you repack to come home. If your bag is bigger, you can toss everything in easier.
- Roll your clothes first, before you pack anything, except for items that will wrinkle. Stuff smaller items like tanks, panties and socks in your shoes. Pack the shoes with the clothing in them at the bottom of your bag. This keeps your bag balanced. Fill in the space with the rolled clothes, making sure to fill every nook and cranny of the bag.
- Once you have all the rolled items in, place the items you don't want to get wrinkled in a dry cleaning bag. Fold them carefully across the top.
- Pack all liquids and other toiletries in your purse, where you can easily retrieve them at the security line.