No one wants to spend hours with a blow dryer, especially on a hot summer day. Follow this cheat sheet from Kurt Lowry, Aveda editorial stylist who worked on the recent Matthew Williamson H&M show, to get beach-y waves in minutes.
- The most important rule for summer, says Kurt, is to work with your hair's natural texture. If your hair is naturally curly or wavy, don't waste time drying and straightening it.
- To fight frizz, use a leave in conditioner or spritz on a product like Aveda's Suncare Protective Hair Veil on to damp hair. The hair veil simultaneously protects your color, helps tame frizz and adds shine.
- To style waves, use a spray gel all over and twist individual sections, then let hair dry naturally. A side part adds elegance, says Kurt, while a middle part is more casual.
- If you prefer to wash you hair at night, braid hair in four or five sections around your head: One on each side, one on top and one in the back. Simply untwist in the morning for instant beautiful waves.
- When hair is dry, use a 1"-curling iron to curl random pieces throughout, says Kurt. "This gives a cool, multi-layered affect."
- Headed to the office? Twist the front pieces and pin them back to keep your overall look neat and professional.