Red, green, yellow, purple and now patterned. Colored denim is the hottest thing going these days and the trend shows no sign of stopping. Think you can’t make it work for you? Read on for tips on how to incorporate colored denim into your wardrobe, no matter your age, style or situation.
At the Office
Colored denim makes a refreshing change from your usual dark denim on casual Fridays. To keep the look work appropriate, reach for darker colors, like red or purple, as opposed to turquoise or bright yellow. Then tone the trendiness down by pairing the jeans with a black or white top—it’s hard to ever go wrong with a button down. Keep your accessories paired down to keep the look polished enough for the office. Ballet flats are always a smart choice.
For brunch, shopping with the girls or to take in a museum exhibit, the sky is the limit when it comes to denim color. Consider a fun patterned jacket or sweater paired with a lose tee. The top layer doesn’t have to match the pants exactly, but should complement them. Or opt for a solid color top and add a long, striped or floral scarf around your neck or hair.
Finish with contrasting accessories, like a turquoise bag with grape colored jeans and white or black wedge heels. Try cuffing your jeans to show off your flirty shoes. Add hoop earrings to draw attention to your face.
Colored jeans make your basic jeans and t-shirt combo anything but. Pair your jeans with an oversized colorful tee or graphic tee. Cuff the jeans and wear your favorite pair of sneakers, patterned sneakers work, too (Think Keds, Top-Sider or Converse). Sport a favorite over-size crossbody bag to keep your hands free for running errands.
On the TownTo make your jeans ready for prime time, pair the casual jeans with a favorite sexy, silky halter top or one shoulder top. Anything leather also works or try a thin cashmere shell. Then wear with strappy silver or gold sandals. Don’t hold back on the jewelry. Bangles in the same metal that match your shoes are a safe choice or think about a bold cuff in a contrasting color to your jeans.
A few rules to live by:
- To take care of your colored jeans, always wash them inside out in cold water, then line dry, rather than put them in the dryer. Hot water and heat will make the color fade faster. Read more on how to care for colored denim.
- Darker colored jeans will be more flattering in general.
- You’ll be surprised by how many tops match your colored jeans. If you’re daunted with wear to start, just treat them like you would a favorite pair of blue jeans.
- That said, do be careful with layering on different colors and don’t go too matchy-matchy. For instance, yellow jeans with a pale pink top can make you look like an Easter Egg. Go for a bolder choice like navy. And red jeans with a red striped top can make you look like a lumber jack. Try a soft grey with a touch of neon.
- Layers are a great way to add a pop of color. Try a colorful tee under a chambray shirt under a leather or army jacket.