If there's one thing Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain showed us last night, it's that you're never full dressed without lipstick. The complaints on my Twitter feed were high about all the natural lips and I have to agree. A bold lip is always a smart choice--plus it's easy and quick, too. The bonus is you can save time on your eyes by forgoing the dark eye shadow and opting for lots of mascara instead.
To make your lipstick last longer:
- Gently exfoliate your lips with a damp wash cloth. You can skip the scrubs pre-makeup, they often leave a greasy film that won't help your lipstick stick.
- Before your first application, line lips with a pencil that is one shade lighter than your natural lip color. You can skip this step when it comes to subsequent applications throughout the day.
- Apply the lipstick straight from the tube for the most color payoff.
- Blot lips once by pressing a tissue to your lips. Don't put the tissue in between your lips and press down as this makes your lipstick wear off unevenly.
- Finish with a second coat.
Want more Oscar coverage? Check out Cynthia Nellis's, editor of About.com Fashion, picks for best dressed.